Friday, May 18, 2007

So I got all this shit in my head and I thought, what the hell? Its not like my mental problems are any kind of secret, plus it is better to let those demons out (in a safe way) than to hold them in. So what the fuck, here's me. Plus, none of you guys really know me....and if you do, well, who cares?

My problems began in my early teen years. I was abused in the worst way by my ex step father for several years. I am now almost 30 and it has take me decades to get to the point where I can even talk about this in any verbal or written sense.

I am planning on writing a book about it called WHY I'M MORE FUCKED UP THAN YOU but I don't know how that would sell.

When I was 12-14 I started running away from home, doing terrible things like drugs and generally being a horrible person and hoodrat. Then I got pregnant at 16 by a man who was a generally good person, just not to me. He liked to do things like throw me across the room and poor alchohol on my face. Ever had tequilla in the eyes? It sucks. Then 2 kids and 4 years later I left him, left the kids at my ex in laws

I got an education (yay, Im edumacated!), got remarried to another jerk (he liked to gamble, drink, and lie about it) and had my 3rd kid. So all my life I have allowed myself to be abused in one way or another, financially, physically, verbally and sexually.

The doctors have tried giving me tons of different drugs. I did lots of drugs on my own, too. Nearly half my life I have been on one drug or another, some legal some not. But nothing helped me as much as when a few years back I decided to get off my ass and help myself. I brought all my kids home. I met a good man. I threw those drugs out. I spent time with myself. I wrote down all the crazy shit in my head. I stopped taking drugs (both kinds). And I have never been better for it. I don't think I am well at all, but I do think that I am functional. I still can't quite pay my bills, I don't live in a nice house, and some days all we have in the cupboard is ramen noodles. But thats life, and I have learned to take life for what it is.

But there are still those days where I feel utterly hopeless. I feel worthless. I want to die. Those days I throw myself into my work and some of it turns out good, some of it turns out absolutely incoherrent---like this one does.

I'm feeling a little hopeless today. I need something to prove my worth to myself. I need to not be a victim of circumstance. I need to pay the rent, too.

I need to not be a victim because being a victim means that I am giving some other asshole control over my thoughts. That's just bs. I control myself. I am not a victim and refuse to think of myself in that way.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

"I am planning on writing a book about it called WHY I'M MORE FUCKED UP THAN YOU but I don't know how that would sell."

you can't write the book because you're not the title. If you were that "fucked up" you wouldn't be here on this blog, you wouldn't be writing inspiring poetry and stories that capture the imagination. You wouldn't have thrown out the drugs.. or seen to it that your kids have the best possible life you can give them.

Even if you don't make the rent - you're a winner in my books.

no bs.

Dustinzgirl said...

Michelle, I officially declare you my pick me up person. So from now on, whenever I need someone to say how great I am, I will be coming to you....LOL I'm kidding.

Thank you hon, sometimes we just need to hear it, you know?

Michelle said...

:) Anytime!

Truth is I wouldn't have got through the last four years sane (ok, semi-sane LOL) without the friends I have online. I've been lucky to find some great women out on the internet. Strong crazy messed up wonderful women who have taught me so much. If I'm able to give back to you today I owe it to the fact that I've had my own totally crap days when someone else out there has pulled me out of the dark.

So today I held out a hand for you and maybe some day in the future you'll do the same for me.. or someone else.

That's what makes life worth living.

:)

apanickingharlequingirl said...

hey. wow. i feel your pain. thanks for spilling your guts because, even tho doing so is only as lovely as it sounds, it is better for us all to release the things that hurts us. when i stopped writing, i got really screwed up. all my anger and mixed up random thoughts created a septic tank in my frontal lobe, if you will. 6 years, much counseling, and 100 mg of zoloft later, i am rediscovering the theraputic value of writing. keep on. it is so very helpful to just GET IT ALL OUT on paper (or online)!!! you are my hero. stay strong.
kristen.

littlemissattitude said...

Hang in there, DG. You've got a gift. It's a gift of vision, and you share it through your writing.

Jim Melvin said...

Your only choice -- our only choice -- is to live in the present moment. Nothing else exists. The past is just a chaotic pile of memories.

DJ said...

Hello Dustinz....

Have read your poems on the SPGroup & thought I'd pay you a visit.

Always rember, when you feel a bit off-colour, that you are a survivor not a victim....

And the poems are pretty hot too

All the best

DJ