Friday, May 4, 2007

To Women

Ladies, listen. We have got to stop allowing the media to portray us as stereotypes. We have got to stop hating each other because someone is prettier, fatter, smarter, sexier, sluttier, dumber, or whatever. The more we feed into the stereotypes, the more the media will portray us as stereotypes. The more we call each other catty names and fight with each other, the more we will fit into these predetermined stereotypes.

I don't know about you, but as a woman, I am entirely tired of being categorized by others. Sometimes I'm a bitch, sometimes I'm not. Somedays I'm sexy, somedays I'm frumpy. I am all this at once, but never only one at a time.

Women are portrayed as extremes. Some of us are extremes, but most of us are not. The more we allow ourselves to be portrayed as sex kittens, corporate sluts, homely submissives, the more the media will feed on that and the more we will remove our essence of being feminine.

The more we allow the media to portray us solely based on our sex appeal, the more we will be judged by society solely based on our sex.

See how this swirls 'round the drain?

I think that all women, the ugly, the sexy, the dumb, the smart, need to stop fighting over the most ridiculous of things (especially men) and we must stop defining ourselves by what we are not, or by how we fit into the media's induced ideals of our 'place' in society.

If we are to make it a better world for our daughters, we must stop using words like slut, bitch, whore, and other female-hating words. We must define ourselves and the others around us by who we are, not the category we fit into.

So ladies, be nice to that girl at the office who wears six inch heels. Be nice to that girl who slept with the boss. Be nice to that quiet, submissive housewife. Stop harming our femininity through male-perpetuated language. The stronger we are together, the better we are as individuals.

Be blessed and be kind.

2 comments:

Mesmacat said...

Sorry, I am not a woman. It might be interesting, instructing, startling or useful sometimes, but it just just never happens. But having said that, you state a pretty decent and persuasive case to those who are. I hope you are heard.

Michelle said...

Good blog entry!

It reminded me of the song "My Ruin" by Terror. I'm not keen on the boring uselessly repeated swearing in the chorus, but the rest of the lyrics are great, IMO. Like a female battle cry. :)